SAN LOURENZO

In The Way of Saint James
In The Way of Saint James

Convent

Location

Street: San Lourenzo, s/n

15705  Santiago de Compostela - A Coruña

Coordinates: 42º 52' 41.0" N - 8º 33' 27.0" W

Phone: +34 981 585 871


Description

Its history dates back to 1216, the year when a hermitage was founded. In the 15th century, it was the property of the Counts of Altamira, who donated it to the Franciscan Order. It currently belongs to the Dukes of Soma, descendants of the founders. In the 18th century, the cloister, the sacristy and the traansept were built, transforming it into a church on a Latin cross ground plan with a nave in four sections and a barrel vault. Three sections of the nave and the entrance portico with splayed arches remain from the medieval church. It contains a 16th-century retable in Carrara marble, made in Lombardan workshops. In 1760, the side doorway was made, where there is a nice with the image of St. Lawrence. The cloister, on two levels, with semi-circular arcades, has a garden of box hedges converted into symbols of Christian faith: the scallop of St. James, St. Dominic´s cross, the Order of Calatrava, Alpha and Omega, etc. On the western side, stone steps lead to a fountain decorated with an ivy-covered sculpture of the Virgin. It has been a Historic-Artistic Monument since 1979. Part of the private property is rented for banquets.

Styles

Architectural style: Romanesque
Architectural style: Romanesque

Religious order

Franciscans

Statement

Good of Cultural Interest


Accessibility


The Ways of St. James

Portiguese Route
The English Camino
The Fistera-Muxía Camino
The French Camino
The Northern Camino
The Primitive Camino
The Route of the Sea of Arousa and River Ulla
The Winter Camino
Vía de la Plata



SAN LOURENZO

cargando mapa...

Download the coordinates of the tourist resource that we present ...

> Click here for help on downloading in different formats